Via Stuff, last week, on reports that the SAS were injured in a friendly fire incident:
A Defence Force spokesman, who would not be named, said: “Although you cannot always be completely sure in very complex operations with multiple agencies involved in resolving the situation we have no evidence to suggest that friendly fire was a factor in what occurred.”
Via Radio New Zealand this morning:
A top-level apology is reported to have been made over friendly fire which injured a New Zealand SAS officer in Afghanistan last week.
The Taliban attack at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul last Tuesday left 22 people dead, including the nine attackers.
Two New Zealand SAS officers were also injured in the attack, as they worked alongside Afghan police to secure the hotel.
BBC correspondent Bilal Sarwary says says he has met officials who told him a police officer accidentally shot one of the New Zealand soldiers.
He says the officer, and Afghanistan’s Interior Minister, have both apologised.
New Zealand Defence Minister Wayne Mapp says he is not aware of any apology.
A clumsy form of censorship, or does our government have, basically, no idea what’s going on over there whatsoever?
Update: From the comments, Tinakori suggests:
Or, gasp!, the BBC has got the wrong end of the stick.
There’s always a chance of mis-reporting, but when it comes to defence matters it’s safe to assume that the government and military are either incorrect or lying about absolutely everything, unless we’re presented with overwhelming evidence to the contrary.