December 31, 2014
- I’ve got quite a bit of writing to do next year, on two separate books, so blogging might be light.
- A couple of weeks ago I decided to give up twitter. I’m supposed to be using my idle moments to think about my writing, and instead I was using them all – and then some – to check twitter, or think about stuff to say on twitter, so this was just about freeing up some mental space.
- But two weeks of not-being-on-twitter made me realise something: somewhere along the way twitter became completely awful, and not constantly exposing myself to – and participating in – this endless cacophony of advertising soaked shrill, mean-spirited outrage is a wonderful experience. I encourage other compulsive twitter users to try it.
- Update: the more I think about writing, and social media and left-wing activism, the less sense it makes for me to spend my time and energy generating unpaid content for tax-avoiding, libertarian Silicon-Valley billionaires to monetise. The blogging is fun though, so that’ll probably continue.
- Also, too – my wife no longer works for the Green Party. She’s moved on to a job in local government. This’ll make it a bit easier for me to criticise the Greens if I think they do anything silly – or, compliment them without looking like a total shill. I’m still a member of the Greens, and hopefully this year I’ll find some time to contribute to the party. First priority: get them to change the name of their regional newsletter from ‘Wellingreen’ to ‘Anything else’.
- Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for reading.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI