March 17, 2016
None of the so-called “jihadi brides” who became headline news last year actually left from New Zealand, the Security Intelligence Service says.
Official papers said all were New Zealand citizens who were living in Australia, and that they left from there.
Last December SIS director Rebecca Kitteridge told Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee there was a developing trend of New Zealand women travelling to ISIS-controlled areas.
“Something that has changed over the last year is the issue of New Zealand women travelling to Iraq and Syria, which is something we haven’t seen previously or been aware of,” she told MPs.
In response to an Official Information Act request, SIS, the domestic spy agency, said the women concerned “did not leave New Zealand.
Kitteridge said after the committee hearing the numbers leaving from New Zealand were small but significant – but declined to give further details.
But she confirmed it was fewer than a dozen. Their plight was a worry, however.
We’re constantly told to take what these very trustworthy people say on trust, but almost every statement they make which can be verified turns out to be false.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.