July 31, 2016
Various Sunday morning thoughts which don’t deserve their own posts and probably don’t deserve this one either
- We saw Midnight Special at the film festival last night. Unlike seemingly everyone else on the internet we actually bought our tickets. It screened at the Lighthouse Petone, which I’d never been to before and is a very nice theatre. And was a pretty good movie. Although, as always with films motivated by interesting ideas, I’d much rather have watched a TV show about it than a two hour film.
- RNZ is included in the radio ratings for the first time since the Paleolithic era! And they’re killing it! I hope their success doesn’t send swarms of media lobbyists into the Beehive demanding National cut RNZ’s funding even further so that commercial media can grow their audience base!
- It again makes the case that what is interesting to audiences that advertisers want to advertise to (generally the dumbest people in the country, hence most persuadable) is not what’s interesting to most of the rest of us.
- There’s speculation on the internets that Donald Trump might not debate Hilary Clinton. Which would be a shame, but got me wondering: who would Hilary’s practise adversary be for those debates? Obama prepped against Romney by debating Kerry, which was perfect. But Trump? I’m thinking Danny McBride. He had this line in, I think, Eastbound and Down where he described himself as ‘King Shit of Fuck Mountain’, which seems like the kind of A material Trump is likely to bring to the US Presidential debates.
- I am not worried about the US election. I think Trump is too flawed as an individual to win the election, and I think the contest from now on will start to amplify those flaws in a way that makes him quite unpopular, and that Clinton will win easily. I am a little scared by the idea that Trump is a kind of John the Baptist figure for a future, more sophisticated messiah of white identity politics.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI